During the process, other member of the parish community "walk" in faith with the person who is preparing for initiation. Sponsors are fully initiated Catholics who are at least 16 years of age and who live the Catholic life.
Sponsors must meet the following requirements at the minimum, but should be fully active in their own parishes, and
must be able to validly receive Holy Communion each Sunday
- Must be at least 16 years old;
- Must be fully initiated in the Catholic Church (Baptized, Confirmed, Holy Communion)
- Must not be parent/guardian of the adult
- If married, marriage must be formally recognized by the Catholic Church.
- Is not the spouse or fiancé of the intended participant